Kigali Summit Agenda
23 JUNE 2022
08:30 Delegates arrive
Refreshments will be available.
09:30 Opening ceremony
A high energy celebration of the fight against malaria and NTDs, utilising music, spoken word and dance performances.
Sherrie Silver, Choreographer
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Writer
09:40 Opening Session
Host country welcome address by The Hon Dr Daniel Ngamije, Minister of Health, Rwanda
Partners’ welcome remarks:
Rebeca Grynspan, Secretary General, United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD) and Chair, Uniting to Combat NTDs
Dr Corine Karema, Interim CEO, RBM Partnership to End Malaria
Ren Minghui, Assistant Director General, UHC, Communicable and Non-Communicable Diseases, WHO
Host partners welcome remarks.
09:55 Session 1: Scene setting
Panel discussion: Setting the scene for the day, by outlining the challenges and achievements in the fight against malaria and NTDs, and opening the conversation on how investments in programming for these diseases can strengthen health systems and ensure health security for all.
Session Chair: Prof. Stanley Okolo, Director General, West Africa Health Authority
- H.E. Ambassador Cessouma Samate, Commissioner for Health, Humanitarian Affairs and Social Development, African Union Commission
- Hon. Dr Frank Anthony, Minister of Health, Guyana
- Hon. Bruno Leingkon, Minister of Health, Vanuatu
- Lucy Oyella, Community Health Worker, Uganda
10:25 Session 2: Integration
Panel discussion: Demonstrating how integration of malaria and NTD programming including through primary health care systems can drive improvements in public health, and help to build resilient health systems.
Session Chair: Faustina Fynn Nyame, Executive Director, CIFF
- Dr Githinji Gitahi, Group Chief Executive Officer, AMREF
- Herbert Fisk Johnson, CEO, SC Johnson
11:05 Break for refreshments
11:35 Spotlight on neglected tropical diseases
11:45 Session 3: Innovation
Panel discussion: Examining how rolling out and scaling up new innovations, tools and approaches to fight malaria and NTDs can help to accelerate elimination efforts.
- Dr Sandra Tirado, Deputy Minister of Minister of Health, Argentina
- Hon. Ummy Mwalimu, Minister of Health, Republic of Tanzania
- Philip Welkhoff, Director, Malaria, Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- Bernard Pecoul, Executive Director, DNDI
- Dr Noella Bigirimana Chair, Youth Combatting NTDs and Deputy Director, Rwanda Biomedical Centre
Panel Discussion: What is the transformation that is required to bring new tools and innovations to the people that need them?
Session Chair: Helena Ngaifiwa, Co-founder, National Young Women in Namibia Association; Southern Africa Lead for ALMA Youth Advisory Council
- Margaret Ndomondo Segonda, Head of the African Medicines Regulatory Harmonisation Initiative, AU-NEPAD
- Dr Lutz Hegeman, President, Novartis
- Dr Mark Sullivan, CEO, Medicines Development for Global Health
- Dr Marijke Winrojks, Chief of Staff, Global Fund to Fight AIDS, TB and Malaria
12:45 Commitment update
12:50 Spotlight on malaria
14:15 Session 4: Resourcing the promise
Panel discussion: Examining innovative methods to finance malaria and NTD programmes from across donor, domestic, philanthropic and private sector sources.
- Dr Donald Kaberuka, Chair of the Board, Global Fund to fight AIDS, TB and Malaria
- Dr Katey Owen, Director NTDs, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
- Dr. Neil Buddy Shah (Outgoing) Managing Director GiveWell, (Incoming) CEO CHAI
14:45 End Malaria Council presentation
- Rev. Dr. Felicidade Chirinda, End Malaria Council Member, Mozambique
- Ms. Thandile Nxumalo, End Malaria Council Member, Eswatini
- Constance Njovu End Malaria Council Member, Zambia
- Mr. Chris Getonga, End Malaria Council Member, Kenya
14:55 Kigali Declaration on NTDs presentation
Launching the Kigali declaration on NTDs, and its role in delivering the WHO NTD road map and SDG NTD target and showcasing the commitments made to date.
- Tiwa Savage, Musician and producer
- Hon. Dr Hafez Adam Taher, Minister of Health, Ghana
15:00 Closing session performance
Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie, Writer
15:10 Morning Sessions End
16:00 Introduction and welcome Back